Catholic Church implicated in ‘stolen babies’ scandal
A BBC Two documentary investigating the scandal,This World: Spain’s Stolen Babies, was broadcast on Tuesday. Hospitals are accused of colluding with the Catholic Church to remove babies from ‘undesirable’ parents and sell them to childless couples whose faith and wealth were deemed to offer a better life to the children.
The practice began under General Franco, initially to take children from political opponents, but continued after his death in 1975.
- Spain’s Stolen Babies (jonathanturley.org)
- Spain’s stolen babies (bbc.co.uk)
- 300,000 Babies Stolen From Parents and Sold For Adoption Through Catholic Church in Spain [BBC] (iantimberlake.wordpress.com)
- TV review: This World: Spain’s Stolen Babies; Alphas (guardian.co.uk)
- The Stolen Babies Of Spain (towleroad.com)
- A noble lie: child trafficking and the Catholic church (1minionsopinion.wordpress.com)